Sunday, January 25, 2009

Falling Coconuts

I am convinced that a falling coconut is going to clock me in the head and render me unconscious, if not otherwise seriously injured. Dislocated shoulder anyone? Within three days, two huge palm fronds and two coconuts have fallen within five or less feet of me, resulting in varying yelps and I’m sure rather humorous expressions. The coconut trees are laughing at me, especially as a run underneath them trying to avoid their random attacks.

Huh, I didn’t realize how long it’s been since my last update. Things have been busy – moved into a new room, said good-bye to new friends, making new ones, work, snorkeling, trying to get rid of my watch tan line and other important occurrences have left me t.i.r.e.d.

My new room is bigger and has a private toilet, but is not as breezy. I’m trying to figure out if I made the right choice. Given the amount of mosquitoes flying around me, I’m second guessing. Thankfully, the mosquitoes don’t bother me too much, their bites don’t itch me (knock on wood) and I have a net. I have a new found appreciation for bug spray.

Colin, the assistant manager here left yesterday. A STHM (School of Tourism and Hospitality) Alum, he set up the internship program for Casa Iguana. It is he that I have to thank for this wonderful opportunity. (Thank you Colin). Last night the official intern torch was passed on, in the form of a faux-hawk. Yes, he gave me a new doo. Naturally, I love it, but beware future intern – I will be hawking your hair as well.

The ebb and flow of people on the island is really dynamic. It’s a funny feeling to become “close” with your guests, then to see them off in a week, times one thousand. Every day, I’m bidding friends farewell as I welcome new guests with open arms. While there is always some level of detachment, with some people it’s hard not to want to be their friend. This place draws a special kind of person, people I’ve been looking for. It’s great to finally meet you all!

A mosquito just bit my back. The one place I didn’t bug spray.

More importantly, I saw my first coral reef this week!!! Amazing, beautiful and accessible via my backyard. Snorkeling is my substitution for snowboarding. A great workout with nature. The first time I went out I was by myself. I remember the first fish I saw. The following is our exchange:

Me: Oh, hey. What are you doing here?
Fish: I’m a fish. I belong here. What are you doing here?
Me: You know, just checking things out.
Fish: Well, you sure do look funny.
Awkward silence.
Me: Alright, well… I guess I’ll go now.

We both swim off.

Since then, I’ve met lots of fish and they all tell me that I don’t look so silly anymore, but plenty of the guests have had a good chuckle watching me splash around in the water. Getting used to breathing, being in the ocean and trying to get your fins on makes for a good ten minutes of me looking completely confused, disoriented and out of my element. I can’t wait to see what diving does for me.

I wrote this on the 21st... it's now the 25th. I write a lot in my room, where I don't have a wireless signal. It's hard to get my laptop to the office (or maybe I'm just forgetful) to post new entries... I do have updates, since I last wrote.

We've had carpenters from the states come in, Sean and Alfonso - totally awesome guys. The wood for the lodge expansion hasn't come in yet (it was stuck in customs) so they've been working on the casitas and other little projects. One of these is my room!!! The four windows that couldn't open are now fully functional and I have a fabulous breeze!!! Thank you Alfonso!

I went snorkeling again today and saw my first eagle ray! Beautifully elegant. The rest of the trip was eh... murky and choppy, but loads of fun and quite a work out. Speaking of which, I've been getting up at sun-up (shocking) and running on the beach. Then doing crunches and other fun things... but the dogs usually foil my plans after they see me. Apparently, they think me lying in the beach is an open invitation to jump all over me, throw themselves down and beg for love and play. How can I deny them?!

Spanish lessons rock. I'm picking up new stuff everyday, learning how to form sentances and flying through my lesson book (thank you Rachel! again)...

I saw a holistic/natural healer, actupuncturist this past week. It was a great session and he really helped me out with my ailing feet (they've been in great pain and swollen due to the new envirnoment. At 85% now, which I'm very happy about). He inquired about a lot of different things, including mind, spirit and body into one... taking all into consideration. He shared some remarkable things, after only talking with me for just over a half an hour, which I know think about every day. Funny how we manifest ourselves into places and how our lives cross with others.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog so much, that I hardly feel the need to want to edit it.

    ReplyDelete