Thursday, January 1, 2009

01 January 2008

Life on Corn Island is amazing. I got here three days ago in the afternoon. By the time I arrived to the Casa Iguana property, it was too dark to really see much... The people here are more than welcoming and genuine...

Before I go further, I must mention that I'm sitting here at 2 pm, soaking in some sun, with a fantastic ocean breeze cooling me down. While I thought I was going to be miserably hot, the breeze on this side of the island makes it cool enough to be chilly at night.

As I was saying... I arrived here Monday. Infamous braised beef night, served with mashed potatoes, chef's vegetables and a demi glaze with a view of the ocean. Dinner is a three course meal - salad, main dish and dessert, usually alternating inbetween a fish and meat every other day. Breakfast is just as good - it's like brunching everyday... of course not as special without the Phila crew, but I guess I'll make do for now. Lunch is a hodgepodge of whatever the "ladies of the kitchen" feel like serving...

I share a casita with Colin, a fellow STHM alumn. The casita is split in two with a wall going down the middle and a shared bathroom - sink and toliet. The shower is outside next to the casita. When I got here, I desperately needed a shower... nothing like showering under the stars! There is no hot water, which can be a bit breathe taking at times, but it's lovely being outdoors.

The guests that stay here are, for the most part, a great breed of people. Environmentally conscious, adventurous travelers who understand that often times, there are other things to worry about. I bartended last night for our New Years Eve and everyone had a blast... how can you not with an 80's theme party? (Pictures to come!!!)

I'll be posting more as I explore more of the island... I walked up the beach and then through the island back through the village yesterday... it's a totally different world here. (Apparently inmost of Central America paper does not go in the toliets. The sewage system simply can't handle it.) As I strolled through the village, a large group of children stood around a pinta, their parents watching. It was a great thing to watch.

Adios for now!

3 comments:

  1. Cole! Loved reading this post. You are going to have such an incredible experience. So excited for you!

    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally second exactly what Jeff said!

    ~Felicia S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely Colester...glad you are enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete